Home & Education >
Pocket Stars PC
also available for desktop, tablet, and notebook PCs running Win98SE,
WinME, Win2K, WinXP, and greater.
Pocket Stars PC is also available for desktop, tablet, and
notebook PCs running Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, WinXP, and greater.
The PC and PDA versions of Pocket Stars work together, sharing configuration
files containing observations and settings.
Star Chart Features
Celestial Navigation Features
- User interface optimized for simple and fast star, planet,
Messier, and Caldwell object identification. Single click on
any body to get the name, designation, calculated altitude,
azimuth, and magnitude. Drag the cursor to scroll the chart.
Zoom in and out with a single click.
- Display of orbital paths for inner solar system bodies showing
daily positions for one year centered on current date.
- Animation of the sky in increments of hours, days, weeks,
- Manual or automatic control of star magnitudes. Simple control
over which objects to display.
- Black, white, and red star chart colors for normal, bright,
and night viewing conditions, respectively.
- Chart can be rotated to any of the 16 compass points and
also flipped along the North - South axis. This allows the either
overhead (East and West reversed) or non-overhead (East and
West normal) viewing.
- Polar grid with hour angle and declination labels.
- Zenith grid.
- Search and scroll to constellation, body, star, or Messier
/ Caldwell objects.
- User location set by clicking on map, city selection, or
by entering Latitude and Longitude.
- Chart can be "live, realtime", animated, or static
for any user selected time.
- Core positional calculation routines based on "Novas"
(Naval Observatory Vector Astrometry Subroutines Version 2.0.1).
- Star data is from the Bright Star Catalog (5th Revised Edition),
comprising the 9110 brightest stars using J2000 equatorial positions
and the International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF). Corrections
are performed for proper motions and parallax.
- Planet ephemeris data from Jet Propulsion Laboratory using
the DE405 database. DE405 is JPL's latest planetary ephemeris
with correction for both nutations and librations. DE405 uses
the J2000 International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF). The
portion of this database provided with Pocket Stars covers the
years CE 2000 to CE 2020.
- Reduction from sextant altitude to observed altitude for
any of the 9110 stars, nine planets, and sun and moon.
- Corrections for observer height (DIP), refraction (temperature
and atmospheric pressure), and vessel movement.
- Position from intercept and azimuth by calculation for multiple
sextant observations following procedures in "The Nautical
Almanac" by the United States Naval Observatory.
- Any number of sextant observations can be individually enabled
to compute a best fit when computing a FIX. Results may be plotted,
showing the assumed position (AP), FIX, and observations with
intercepts and amplitudes. 95% confidence ellipse shows the
boundaries of the Most Probable Position.
- Intermediate calculations for each observation can be displayed,
with selectable formats (DD.dddd, DD MM.mm, DD MM SS) for degrees,
- Rise, set, and meridian times for all solar system bodies.
- Lunar Phase calendar and animation showing the relative positions
of the earth, moon, and sun.
- Images and physical data for planets, moon and sun. Optional
display of all 110 Messier objects through separate free download.
- Calculators for Great Circle Distances, Range and Bearing,
Horizon Distances, Julian Day, and degree minute seconds conversions.
- Print star charts.
- Transfer configuration files to and from a connected Pocket
PC running Pocket Stars PDA.
|Pocket Stars PC Related Software:
- Scientific Letter - An original mail program that allows you to create messages including complex equations.
- CD Label Maker - make cd or dvd labels.
- Recover My Photos - Recover deleted lost data.
- PestPatrol - Home User License - powerful security and personal privacy tool.
- MP3 CD Maker - Burn your MP3 to CD audio tracks in seconds.
- AVI/MPEG CD Maker - powerful AVI MPEG to VCD SVCD Burner.
- CD to MP3 Ripper - convert CD to MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, VQF. Convert audio formats MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG.
- Piano Professor - an award winning Piano Education product for learning to play chords.
- Audio MP3 Converter - convert between audio formats mp3, wav, wma, ogg.
- Photo2DVD Studio 3 - create stunning slideshows DVD VCD SVCD with your digital photos.
- Liatro Button Maker - vector web button maker for creating web buttons.
- GS Typing Tutor - full features Typing Skill, Typing Practice, Typing tutor software.
- All My Movies - It is intended for those who are tired of managing home movie collection.
- Advanced Viewer - Image files viewer and converter, editor, mopher, html album generator!
- AVerRC - Remote controlling multimedia applications !
- Image Searcher PRO - A powerful finder tool that lets you locate the image files.
Free to try
Windows 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, 2003 Server, XP
Click to Enlarge